Deep Teeth Cleaning (Scaling & Root Planing)
Have you been told that you need a dental deep cleaning? Wondering what to expect, and how the procedure works? Dental deep cleanings are necessary if you have gingivitis, which is the first stage of gum disease.
In gum disease, bacteria builds up between your teeth and gums. Not all of this bacteria is visible. Some of it goes below your “gum line” and can’t be cleaned with brushing alone. If this is the case, your dentist will recommend a “deep cleaning” also known as “scaling & root planing” to eliminate the bacteria.
Getting A Dental Deep Cleaning? What To Expect From The Process
Your dentist will begin with a gum line check. Using a hand-held probe, they will measure the depth of the gum “pockets” where bacteria form. This ensures they clean deeply enough to remove the bacteria. Then, your dentist will go through the following steps:
- Numbing your gums – Your gums will be sprayed with a numbing agent, and a needle will be used to numb the area completely and prevent discomfort.
- Scaling away plaque & tartar – Your dentist will use a hand-held dental scaler to scrape away plaque and tartar from above and below your gum-line, eliminating the bacteria that cause gum disease.
- Applying antibiotics – Depending on your case, topical antibiotics may be placed on the tooth and inner gum to fight back against bacteria.
- Planing and smoothing the roots of your teeth – Using a planing tool, your periodontist will smooth out the root of the tooth, which helps prevent bacteria from forming between the teeth and gums.
You may feel some discomfort during and after this process, as it is more invasive than the standard cleanings you would get as part of your regular six-month dental visits. Usually, only one half of the mouth is treated at each appointment, so you will need to come in for 2 appointments in most cases.
You don’t have to do anything special to prepare for your appointment. Dress comfortably, and take over-the-counter (OTC) pain reliever before the procedure if you are worried about pain and discomfort.
The Benefits Of Dental Deep Cleanings
When you get a dental deep cleaning from the doctors at Ascent Dental, you’ll enjoy a variety of benefits:
- Reverse or halt gum disease – The deep cleaning of teeth procedure, along with proper at-home oral care, can completely reverse first-stage gingivitis, and halt the progression of more advanced gum disease.
- Better breath – Eliminating oral bacteria helps prevent bad breath (halitosis), freshening your breath and boosting your confidence.
- Healthier smile – You can avoid gum inflammation, gum recession, and other oral health issues and keep your smile looking and feeling healthy.
- Prevent tooth decay – Destroying periodontal bacteria also helps prevent cavities and decay from forming, keeping your teeth strong.
Need A Dental Deep Cleaning? Contact Ascent Dental Today
Now that you know what to expect from a dental deep cleaning, you may be wondering if you can benefit from this procedure. To find out, just contact Ascent Dental for a consultation. We’re always accepting new patients, and we use the latest technology to deliver exceptional dental care in Cherry Creek, Denver.